Also known as post-pregnancy surgery. A mommy makeover is any combination of cosmetic procedures that restore your before-pregnancy appearance, typically focusing on the breasts and abdomen. A typical makeover might include a tummy tuck, a breast procedure such as an augmentation, lift or reduction and liposuction of the legs, arms or trunk.
When to Consider a Mommy Makeover
- If your pregnancy has negatively affected the size and shape of your breasts.
- If you’re distressed about your sagging tummy and stretch marks.
- If pockets of fat on your waist, abdomen, arms or thighs do not improve with diet and exercise.
A mommy makeover is any combination of cosmetic procedures that restore your before-pregnancy appearance, typically focusing on the breasts and abdomen.
Detailed Procedural Information
How is a mommy makeover procedure performed?
Mommy makeover is a descriptive term, not a procedure, so your first step is to consult with your plastic surgeon and decide on the procedures you will undergo. The following procedures described below are common to mommy makeovers.
- Tummy tuck
- Breast lift
- Breast reduction
- Breast augmentation
What are my options?
You have many options, beginning with your choice of which procedures to undergo.
- If you undergo breast augmentation, you will choose between silicone and saline breast implants, or, possibly, fat grafting. Depending on the size and shape you would like to achieve, your surgeon will give you some recommendations.
- If you undergo liposuction, our plastic surgeon will explain the many new technologies associated with it.
- In any of the mommy makeover surgeries, your preferences will be a deciding factor in incision placement as much as possible.
Preparing for Your Procedure:
Our surgeon will provide thorough preoperative instructions, answer any questions you may have, take a detailed medical history, and perform a physical exam to determine your fitness for surgery. If our surgeon recommends weight benchmarks or lifestyle changes, do your best to achieve them to ensure the best results and minimize the chance of complications. Regardless of the type of surgery to be performed, hydration is very important before and after surgery for safe recovery and critical outcomes. Since mommy makeover surgery places heavy demands on your body for wound healing, there are special recommendations:
- Achieve your desired target weight first, but not in the month before surgery.
- Make sure you are exercising at least thirty minutes per day.
- Be sure to have a healthy diet with a variety of vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants
- Keep alcohol consumption at less than two to three drinks per week.
- Stop smoking at least six weeks before undergoing surgery to promote better healing.
- Avoid taking aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs: Advil, Motrin, Aleve), and vitamins/homeopathic regimens that can increase bleeding.
- Establish a no-fail support system for the full recovery period dictated by your surgeon. This is most critical to your recovery. If you have children less than five years of age, you must have someone to take care of them for at least two weeks. Lifting, driving, laundry, and cleaning are absolutely prohibited.
- Prepare your home for recovery. Your doctor can suggest many conveniences that may help you, depending on your procedure. For example, if your mobility is limited, it may be helpful to move objects from high shelves.
- If your surgery is performed on an outpatient basis, arrange for someone to take you home and stay with you.
Aftercare and Recovery
Our surgeon will discuss how long it will be before you can return to your normal level of activity and work. After surgery, you and your caregiver will receive detailed instructions about your postsurgical care, including information about: mso-style
- Drains, if they have been placed.
- Normal symptoms you will experience.
- Any potential signs of complications.
Results of this treatment vary greatly from person to person.